Corfu Museum of Asian Arts is the only museum in Greece, which is dedicated to art and antiquities of Asia since 1928, the year of founding.
It is housed in the Palace of Saint Michael and Saint George on the Greek island of Corfu. The Palace is the largest and the most significant building of the English rule period (1814 – 1864) and one of the greatest monuments of neoclassical architecture in Greece.
It was founded in 1928 as the Museum of Sino-Japanese Art, following the donation of Gregorios Manos’ Sino-Japanese collection to the Greek state. Since that time, the Museum has been a pole of attraction for many other donations, resulting in its collection currently comprising approximately 15.000 works of Asian art form private collections and individual item donations. The 1973 Hadjivassiliou’s donation, in particular, with the addition of 400 works from India, Pakistan, Tibet, Siam and Southeast Asia, changed the Museum’s strictly Sino-Japanese profile and led to it being renamed to the Museum of Asian Art. In 1980, the collector Charilaos Chiotakis donated 400 Chinese export porcelain objects to the Museum. In 1980, the collector Charilaos Chiotakis donated 400 Chinese export porcelain objects to the Museum.
The Corfu Museum of Asian Art, Chinese collection includes about 3,500 items. These exhibits include pieces of pottery, porcelain, and brass works of art, sculpture, cloisonné, lacquer objects, ivory, miniatures, clothing, jewelry and coins. A selection of the Corfu Museum of Asian Art, Chinese collection is exhibited at the east wing of the first floor.